Sunday 10 June 2012

Am I addicted to Fashion?


I recently read that addiction may not solely be concentrated to obvious things such as Drink, Drugs and Sex, but that it can also be applied to material goods. This therefore raises the question can you be addicted to things such as shoes, handbags and clothes? If I think logically about the question then it may possibly be true. For example my magazine collection may be described as a little excessive, I have around 1000 magazines that I have collected over the last 5 years. My collection when stacked up is around 20ft tall, insane I know I find that they are useful to reference or just to look at when I need cheering up. I can also imagine how people become addicted to buying expensive things such as shoes and handbags. When I think about how I feel when I just buying a magazine, that shows me lots and lots of beautiful things I am sooo excited and I can't wait to tear open the cover and see what is inside.

Over the weekend I visited Harvey Nichols and Selfridges in Manchester and I was so excited to go, I wasn't going to buy anything, I was going to look at the latest things that had come into store. When I go to these places I love to touch, I like to feel, and I like to hold something beautiful in my hands, like this Stella McCartney Tote bag and I must admit my heart begins to race. Fashion is a true passion of mine I love everything about it from who, how and why it was designed to the finished article, and I am in awe of designers who can draw something and then bring it to life. I really do think I am answering my own question, maybe I am addicted to fashion.



Now shoes have always been a sore point for me as I have a size UK 13 feet and I mean big ones not small, so I have NEVER owned or tried on a beautiful pair of shoes such as these Christian Louboutin ones and this makes me very sad. However in spite of not being able to have a gorgeous pair of heels I still love looking, touching and holding shoes, in fact my sister's extensive collection leaves me a little Green with envy. I have often thought I should just design my own range of women shoes for bigger feet as I can't be the only girl in the UK with this problem, am I? However I cannot draw as many of my friends will know. Once again however this has not stopped me loving what I cannot have. The evidence of my fashion addiction is mounting up...


My love of fashion however, may not really be addiction as I have never done something terrible to feed my addiction, well apart from elbowing someone out of the way when they made a grab for the last copy of Vanity Fair on the shelf. So can that really be an addiction? Can it not simply just be an appreciation and love for something that has been designed and made and then put in front of me to consume as a customer?  As consumers we are targeted based on our likes, dislikes, age etc... so my suggestion is this designers clearly know my likes and dislikes and are showing me what they have come up with therefore I am not addicted. However when I can no longer fit anything else in my room due to the ever increasing number of magazines... I may give someone a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment